The Catholic Churches in the Lune ValleyWelcome to the Catholic Parishes of St Mary, Hornby and St Joseph, Kirkby Lonsdale
New Covid Guidelines
The Diocese has issued revised guidelines to be observed following the announcement of the lifting of certain Covid restrictions. In light of these please note:
- Although not mandatory you are advised that face coverings should still be worn by all those coming to a church service (exemptions for medical reasons excluded.). Those who do not wish to wear a covering will not be prevented from entering.
- Whilst social distancing will not be mandatory in our churches; while infection rates remain high locally some social distancing [1m+] will remain in place.
- Please be attentive to directions from stewards. Hand sanitising will remain necessary as people arrive.
- The arrangements for Holy Communion remain the same. Holy Communion under both kinds will not be re-introduced at this time nor the Sign of Peace.
- Singing can be restored, though we may need to consider if this works with face coverings. The Bishops’ Conference recommends a phased reintroduction of singing over the summer months – this will be the case here.
- Hymn books and service books can be used once in a day.
- We’ve also been advised that Mass should not be ‘unnecessarily long’.
The Bishops’ Conference have also indicated that the obligation to assist at Mass is unlikely to be restored until the beginning of Advent. However, they remind us that assisting at Sunday Mass is at least ‘encouraged’.
If you are isolating or shielding, you can still join us for Mass on a Saturday evening via Zoom. We will be delighted to see you. Simply click on the large blue button below any time after 5:30 and you’ll be able to join us.
A group of parishioners meets on Zoom to pray the Holy Rosary every Wednesday at 6:00 pm. You are warmly invited to join us, (click on the blue button above) either to participate or simply to listen. Please try to join the Zoom meeting at 5:50 pm.
St Mary’s Catholic Church, Hornby
St Mary’s Catholic Church in Hornby is the home of our Parish Priest, Father Michael Docherty. It’s the oldest, but smallest, of our three churches.
St Joseph’s Catholic Church, Kirkby Lonsdale
St Joseph’s Catholic Church in Kirkby Lonsdale is tucked away in Back Lane, behind the Market Square. It’s well worth the search!
Our Lady Immaculate Catholic Church, Caton
Our Lady Immaculate Catholic Church in Caton is a chapel of ease for the Hornby parish. It’s sometimes called the Railway Church, not just because it’s in Station Road.
Catholic Churches in the Lune Valley
The Catholic Churches in the Lune Valley are situated in the lovely countryside of the Diocese of Lancaster. We welcome you to our website and hope to see you at Mass and other devotions in Hornby, Caton and Kirkby Lonsdale.
Weekday mass times are subject to change – please see the latest newsletter. It has up-to-date information about our services and you can find out what’s going on in our busy parishes this week.
Please visit the individual pages of the three churches for information about special devotions: Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, morning prayer and ecumenical prayers.